Apr 30, 2013

Coban Rondo


*Throwback post to PST in Batu, June 2012*

One of my clustermate’s families took us on an outing to a local “tourist object” (for some reason, Indonesians are taught that a tourist destination is a “tourist object” in English).  This particular object was a waterfall called Coban Rondo. 

I dressed for a fairly rigorous hike, as we were told to prepare to be tired.  What I didn’t yet understand at the time was that Indonesians never walk if they can help it.  So, a 45 minute walk up a mild incline, say, a 3-5% grade, is the equivalent of an ascent to Yosemite’s Half Dome.  In any event, we were greeted by enchanting animal statues by the entrance, and the walk to the falls was pleasant.  We saw some coffee plantations on the way.  The waterfall was duly resplendent.





When we tried to find a place to picnic, the local monkey gang wanted in.  I’m happy to report our group remained monkey bite free.





On the way back, we walked by this random elephant.  He was hanging out all by his lonesome.  No real fence, no handler in sight.  Suddenly, music started playing on some speakers somewhere, and then the elephant started dancing!  What I mean is, swaying his head, trunk and body from side to side.  It was the most adorable and sad thing I’ve ever seen.  I fell in love with him and wanted to rescue him from there.  I had a really difficult time leaving him.  I really really didn’t want to.  But I just couldn't fit him into my backpack, alas.




No comments:

Post a Comment